DJ Mag's Top 20 DJs of 2011 unveiled!

Post Reply Create New Topic

Remco
TrancePodium Staff
948 forum
# 24 October 2011, at 19:25
Originally posted by Daniel
the people that boo'ed Guetta were idiots. Why? Because at the end of the day, they all went there knowing this poll was a farce, why pay all that money and then boo if you knew it was going to happen anyway?

I agree with everything you wrote, except for this part. They're my heroes hahaha. Ofcourse they new Gaytta would win it, ofcourse they know this poll is a farce. The people here are the partypeople, the people that know what they're talking about, not the people that vote based on what they hear on the radio. That's why Gaytta got booo-ed. Where were his fans? Probably sitting at home listening to his latest CD.
I was thinking about going there, just to see Armin and Markus. And yes I would've known this list is a farce and yes, I would've booo-ed as well. The only reason I didn't go is cz I hated the feeling to sponsor this stupidity. But also, maybe the people didn't only booo to Gaytta, but maybe also to show that this whole poll became a joke. To make a statement towards DJmag. Who knows it will make them think. Yes I LOVE AMSTERDAM for this. This is what we stand for. We say what we want. We don't care about reputations. We don't let this shit being stuffed down our throat. So we booo :)
Daniel
2785 forum
# 24 October 2011, at 19:59
Ha, I knew you would disagree with me there.

Even better would have been everyone to leave after it was announced or just boycott the whole thing imo. There was loads else going on and Markus was the only one worth going to see. I agree I am kind of glad he got boo'ed but when you give money to the event, which is all they really care about then you kind of lose your point.

I will try to explain another way, I hate Tesco who are a supermarket chain here who basically saturate the market
I boycott them as do many others. (As well as lots of other shops too) Anyway they built one in an independent area of Bristol without consulting the local community because of some loophole.

Anyway, this area of Bristol is wonderful but very Urban and Edgey. People took things into their own hands and smashed the store up. I thought this served Tesco right, they knew what the area was like when they decided to take the piss by going there.

However as soon as I saw rioters looting as well from Tesco they lost my respect, why use a product from a company ypu apparently detest? Even if it is stolen. Another example would be anti capitalism protesters in London queuing for Starbucks for a coffee.... Once I saw that I was like wtf.

If your going to be against something then be against it properly and don't go.
djsmirk
178093 forum
# 25 October 2011, at 02:32
good points daniel but idk if you examples can quite apply.... becasue there were great djs playing at the event that most of us would of course go to see im sure these ppl that booed guetta wanted to go see armin and markus even if they knew guetta was going to win... then after seeing these djs the proceeded to boo guetta which in my mind was great....although i agree walking out would have sent a much better message to DJmag i dont think you can knock them for going to a show that has great djs such as markus and armin and when a hated dj does get on stage they show their true feelings....at least thats my take on it basically i think i would have done the same in their shoes and to be honest probably would have left

Smirk
Daniel
2785 forum
# 25 October 2011, at 08:34
DJ mag also got the booking wrong, Avici or someone equally as poor should have been there instead of.Markus so it was not full of trance heads.

Remco
TrancePodium Staff
948 forum
# 25 October 2011, at 09:25

It's the reason I didn't go eventually. But sometimes it's easier and it comes through better to make statement while being there, then not showing up. Tesco doesn't feel it when 100 people don't do their shopping there. They do feel it tho, when those 100 people go there and protest.

I don't know at what time the winner was announced and if Markus and Armin had already played. It makes a difference to me cz is it worth € 30 or whatever the price was too leave before having seen your favorites who you want to show your appreciation to?

Ofcourse, every trance fan should stop voting for the DJmag and every trance artist should stop looking at this list and stop promoting to vote for them. However for the 'smaller' names, this list is important cz whether we like it or not, many event promotors looks at this list to see who they invite. It's the reason Tiësto had send out a mailing a few years ago to stop voting for him, but to vote for the new talents, cz he doesn't need this list anymore to get bookings, but the lesser known DJs do. I know in the Netherlands we are very much known with the whole trance scene. The most event promotors, like Alda Events, Intuition, Luminosity or PT Events don't look at the list, cz the have enough experiences with practically all the DJs to know who's good or not. However in countries where they don't have these experiences, think about South America, Africa or Asia they look at the list. Why would they invite Menno de Jong who's not on the list and therefor don't know him instead of Dash Berlin, who in their eyes is popular and will sell lots of tickets?

That is the main problem and it takes balls to stop that. But we have to do it all together and not only with a few. Cz then nothing will change.
Remco
TrancePodium Staff
948 forum
# 25 October 2011, at 09:28

It's the reason I didn't go eventually. But sometimes it's easier and it comes through better to make statement while being there, then not showing up. Tesco doesn't feel it when 100 people don't do their shopping there. They do feel it tho, when those 100 people go there and protest.

I don't know at what time the winner was announced and if Markus and Armin had already played. It makes a difference to me cz is it worth € 30 or whatever the price was too leave before having seen your favorites who you want to show your appreciation to?

Ofcourse, every trance fan should stop voting for the DJmag and every trance artist should stop looking at this list and stop promoting to vote for them. However for the 'smaller' names, this list is important cz whether we like it or not, many event promotors looks at this list to see who they invite. It's the reason Tiësto had send out a mailing a few years ago to stop voting for him, but to vote for the new talents, cz he doesn't need this list anymore to get bookings, but the lesser known DJs do. I know in the Netherlands we are very much known with the whole trance scene. The most event promotors, like Alda Events, Intuition, Luminosity or PT Events don't look at the list, cz the have enough experiences with practically all the DJs to know who's good or not. However in countries where they don't have these experiences, think about South America, Africa or Asia they look at the list. Why would they invite Menno de Jong who's not on the list and therefor don't know him instead of Dash Berlin, who in their eyes is popular and will sell lots of tickets?

That is the main problem and it takes balls to stop that. But we have to do it all together and not only with a few. Cz then nothing will change.

DJ mag also got the booking wrong, Avici or someone equally as poor should have been there instead of.Markus so it was not full of trance heads.

I haven't seen the confirmation of Avicii, only from Armin, Markus, Gaytta and Fedde Le Grand so I think many others have seen the same.
djsmirk
178093 forum
# 25 October 2011, at 20:22
Daniel...woah whats with the avicii hate i realize hes quite commercial now but i still enjoy the fuck out of his music and is actually a really nice guy, i had the chance to hang out with him this past saturday and hes super nice. He gave us a bunch of free stuff, signed anything we asked him too, and was even giving us tips and pointer on producing. So even if he is quite commercial now, hes still a class act that puts out some quality music!

My take,
Smirk
Deadmike5
4339 forum
# 26 October 2011, at 02:05
Originally posted by djsmirk
Daniel...woah whats with the avicii hate i realize hes quite commercial now but i still enjoy the fuck out of his music and is actually a really nice guy, i had the chance to hang out with him this past saturday and hes super nice. He gave us a bunch of free stuff, signed anything we asked him too, and was even giving us tips and pointer on producing. So even if he is quite commercial now, hes still a class act that puts out some quality music!

My take,
Smirk

Thats awesome, i'd love to chill with him someday :D

His music is tight, i'm still waiting for Penguin and Levels to get released on iTunes over here, such a travesty! :*(
Musical Freedom!
djsmirk
178093 forum
# 26 October 2011, at 03:46
haha yea mike hes a good guy...if you want i have the official releases i could give ya....he gave me a jump drive with a bunch of music and it has the official versions
Remco
TrancePodium Staff
948 forum
# 26 October 2011, at 07:16
Avicii is one of the better electro house producers I think. But that doesn't mean I like him either. And no.6? Really? That really is a joke. Avicii shouldn't even be in the top 50, no matter how nice he is. This isn't a Friendly DJ Top 100 poll. And if Daniel thinks he's poor, he means it quality-wise. I don't think he hates the guy personally.
Deadmike5
4339 forum
# 26 October 2011, at 09:51
haha yea mike hes a good guy...if you want i have the official releases i could give ya....he gave me a jump drive with a bunch of music and it has the official versions

That'd be cool, thanks bro! :D
Musical Freedom!
Daniel
2785 forum
# 26 October 2011, at 12:36

My take,
Smirk

I am sure he is a really nice guy, I bet even Guetta is a nice guy but I don't see many people here sticking up for him. ;)

I don't like Avicii's style when it come to anything really, that's my opinion and it is nothing personal towards him. After all it is opinions that makes music so interesting right? In the same way that I love the style of say Marco Carloa and Stanton Warriors, I bet there are many on here who would describe them as shit.

The post did come across a bit more harsh than I had intended though, however I stick by all the points I made over the last few posts.

Hansy
4775 forum
# 26 October 2011, at 16:10
Originally posted by vera

Are you kidding me? What about Markus Schulz? I believed he would def be in the top 5! Instead we see Dash Berlin at 8! I mean ofc he also produces good stuff from time to time but him above Ferry and Markus, its just ridiculous.

I'm agree with you: Marcus is a good producer and I really love his radioshows, but I think that in spite of everything is in a good position.
For me is so strange to see Dash Berlin before him. I like Dash berlin tracks, but he isn't at Marcus's levels or Ferry's, Gareth's, Sander's or Paul's levels. Someone explained me that he is in this good position because of his big success in Latin America, but for me is also strange.
H@nsy
djsmirk
178093 forum
# 26 October 2011, at 18:26
Daniel....yea thats fair im sure you didnt mean it in the sense that i took it....and yea opinion is what makes music evolve haha so even if you dont like him i can see what you mean about him being quite high in the polls...sorry to get all defensive haha just in my opinion hes a good guy and deserves the fame he gets haha

and mike sure ill get them up for you send me a message with your email and ill send you the links

Smirk