Gareth Emery and the Top 100 djs poll

Post Reply Create New Topic

Daniel
2785 forum
Gareth Emery and the Top 100 djs poll -
21 July 2013, at 20:26
I've been critical of Gareth Emery over the last few years but this is spot on -

Just took a bizarre unsolicited phone call from a publicity company who help DJs promote themselves for the Top 100 poll, who told me I should be aware one of my ‘competitors’ (as she put it) was spending $15,000 on Twitter advertising alone, and unless I got on that sort of level, I would find it ‘hard to compete’. Obviously not going to say who the DJ was, but I was nearly sick in my mouth.

So here’s an alternative Top 100 message: Don’t vote for me. Seriously, when you buy a ticket to see me in a club, I consider that a vote. When you blast my music in your car, or share it on Facebook, or tell your friends about it, that’s a vote too. Those votes, and the amazing support you’ve shown over the last year, is what matters to me.

If you did plan on voting for me, give that vote instead to the DJs you see spending their money on promoted tweets, sponsored stories, banner adverts, rebranded twitter pages, etc. If they care that much about their number, just let them have it.

In return for your non-votes, rather than spend an amount on a campaign that would probably buy a school in Africa, I am going to donate the same amount to charity, and maybe some good can come out of this.

Actually how about this… I’ll post a poll of my own tomorrow with some various charities that I like and you guys can vote to decide which ones I will donate to. Together we can do something good. A poll where I’ll be proud, rather than ashamed, to ask for your votes.

Back soon,

Gaz
Thomas Leo
181771 forum
# 21 July 2013, at 23:07
Respect for Gareth! This is what the clubbers will do for Gareth: but tickets, buy his productions, follow him at facebook, soundcloud or mixcloud and twitter...:) of course with moderation ;)
Jaroslaw Tysa aka Tysa, producer and DJ from Poland (Stettin city). He playing & producing Progressive and Techno music.
Last edited on 21 July 2013, at 23:08
Itscaitlin
180502 forum
# 22 July 2013, at 01:16
Wow, I have been critical of Gareth recently as well, but I really respect him for posting that. Props to him! It also makes me sick to think that someone is spending thousands of dollars on advertising for votes...pathetic.
Last edited on 22 July 2013, at 01:19
Eff_Jay
2671 forum
# 22 July 2013, at 12:56
Seen this yesterday too. It's a shame that people still use this poll for their bookings and therefore artists / management feeling the need to buy votes. It pathetic and sums this poll up 100% for me.

I would like to think this is something management would do without the artists consent but the way a lot of artists like their celeb lifestyle I wouldn’t be surprised if they knew.

As for Gaz. fair play mate. Although that prob a weeks champagne consumption for him lol
19/12: Eddie Halliwell, Alex Di Stefano, Jordon Suckley & Marcel Woods @ Colours pres. Bosh, Glasgow
26/12: Solarstone, Gai Barone, Giuseppe Ottaviani & Sneijder @ Colours Winter Party, Glasgow
05/02: DS9
R33
TrancePodium Staff
44 forum
# 28 July 2013, at 11:33
And this is why I have not voted in DJmag poll for years. Its a crock now days and just a blatant rip for companies to make loads of easy cash.

I always like Gareth for many many years, even though his current direction is not what I am listening too, I give him a proper stand up for doing this instead of the ridiculous poll.
Ultan
24606 forum
# 29 July 2013, at 02:01
Everytime I go to read a new reply in this topic I always see that "TOP 100DJS Vote for Aly & Fila" advertisement thing at the top of the page... makes it obvious that they are some of the DJ's doing what Gareth is clearly against...
Daniel
2785 forum
# 29 July 2013, at 21:07
Originally posted by Ultan
Everytime I go to read a new reply in this topic I always see that "TOP 100DJS Vote for Aly & Fila" advertisement thing at the top of the page... makes it obvious that they are some of the DJ's doing what Gareth is clearly against...

Except from when he was doing it himself mind.
Remco
TrancePodium Staff
948 forum
# 2 August 2013, at 07:25
I don't think this is that much spot on. It's easy for Gareth to say this. He has a steady fanbase. As long as the stupid event promoters use this list to book DJs, especially the smaller DJs need to get higher on this list to get gigs. Unlike Gareth. Most DJs don't care about the list itself, but just need to be on it, else they don't get the chance to do what they like to do most.

Another comment I read as this would be buying votes. Really, it isn't. If I don't like the DJ from who I've seen the add, I'm still not going to vote for him. No matter how much he spends on the campaign. Buying votes would be to give something in return for the vote. They don't. Advertising to vote on them and spending money on this, is nothing different than advertising to buy their album. They spend money on something hoping they can eventually win money with it.

I'd even like to go a step further and say that I actually think this is rather hypocrite from Gareth. He found out he won't be able to get any higher on that list, no matter to which style he's changing and now he comes with this, while he knows it works like this for years already. Or would he actually think all the advertising many DJs are already doing for years has always been free advertising? Of course not. He suddenly realized now that he will never win this anyway and he tries to win back some positive image with saying "Don't vote for me". And the worst is, people actually fall for it.

Btw, I remember Tiësto saying about 6/7 years ago already: "Don't vote for me, vote for the new talents. They need it more than me".

There you go :p