Gareth Emery Interview Ahead Of Passion 14th Birthday :: March 14th 2009

Posted in Events
Post Reply Create New Topic

Gareth Emery Interview Ahead Of Passion 14th Birthday :: March 14th 2009 -
4 March 2009, at 15:16
Gareth Emery Interview Ahead Of Passion 14th Birthday :: March 14th 2009

GET YOUR ADVANCE Gareth Emery/PASSION TICKETS HERE:::
http://www.http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/user/?region=gb_midlands&query=detail&event=307117

Ahead of Gareth Emery’’ return to the famous Passion turntables Passion resident Genix decided to ask him a few questions…..

First of all it’s a great pleasure to welcome you back to Passion!....

Q:: Your making your return to Passion does it hold any special memories for you after your last appearances?

A:: Definitely… I’ve never failed to have a good time at Passion either playing or as a clubber. I also was playing Passion the night I met my girlfriend three years ago, and our first night out together was to the club as a friend of ours was playing, so I definitely have a bit of history with the place!

Q:: Your name has really been put in lights over the past years from your productions… and notably it was your track ‘Mistral’ that jumped out and caught everybody’s attention.. Did you expect to get so much success of the back of creating that dance classic?A:: Not really no, and in some ways it was a curse as much of a blessing. It helps if you’ve been in the scene making music for a bit before you make a huge track, as you’re better prepared to manage the success and expectation that comes with it. I made Mistral as a complete newbie, it was pretty much my debut release, and all of a sudden it ended up being one of the biggest records of the year, and at the time, I wasn’t totally prepared to deal with everything that came afterwards. On a lighter note, I think it’s amazing that the track occasionally still gets played out, and never imagined it would still sound half decent seven years on.

Q:: I remember shortly after that you did a remix of a track called ‘Cern – Baileys’… and you were telling me at Passion how you were not 100% happy with the levels in the track.. (I think most producers are never 100% happy!!!) … do you still find yourself aiming for that perfection with your tracks? Or does it come a lot easier now after years of producing?A:: I still aim for perfection – it’s a little easier now I guess, mainly due to having a nicer studio with decent sound treatment that makes it easier to tell what’s going on in the music. Also having been in the game for a good few years means I’m now a lot faster at telling what’s going to sound good in a club. When I listen to some of my older productions it horrifies me how badly mixed some of them are… but I guess that’s party due to developing as a producer. Of course I want to continue getting better and there are many, many areas of my productions where I think there’s room for improvement… but I think that applies to any half decent producer. We’re never really happy with our work.

Q:: What can the Passion clubbers expect from Gareth Emery on our special 14th birthday event?
A:: A lot of it depends what time I’m playing… if it’s earlier it’ll probably kick off with chunky progressive(ish) trance, following into my trademark sound. If I’m later in the night it’ll be a bit more techy and banging. But whatever time I play, there’ll be bags of groove, loads of melody, lots of the typical Emery feel, and I’ll be pulling everything out the bag for the Passion faithful!

Q:: Your dj’ing has obviously taken you across the globe… but are there any big parties that have really stood out for you?
A:: I’ve a lot of favourite clubs, countries, and parties, and it’s really hard to pick some as you inevitably leave others out. Zouk in Singapore is consistently my favourite club in the world to play. The UK has lots of great clubs. Recently debuted at The Guvernment in Toronto which is a truly outstanding place. Amnesia and Eden in Ibiza get a mention, I loved doing festivals like Trance Energy in Holland and Tomorrowland in Belgium… plus numerous other clubs and events in Australia, South America, Asia, Eastern Europe – you know, it’s a big big world, there are a lot of great clubs and events, and I’m massively lucky to get to play so many of them.

Q:: What does the Gareth Emery studio consist of? What do you use to generate those awesome sounds?A:: It’s mainly all software these days: a beefy PC running Cubase (although I really need to find some time to move over to Mac), plus various VSTs. The only significant outboard stuff I use are an old Virus C and a Studio Electronics SE-1.

Q:: Do you have any new productions or any big tunes that are going off in your sets right now?
A:: Loads…. a new remix I’ve just finished for Oceanlab has been getting great reactions, plus a few new singles that I’ve been testing – as yet untitled have been doing really well. I’m also kicking off my new label Garuda this year, so I’ve been road-testing a few bits and pieces we’ve signed, all of which have been doing the business! Watch this space…

Q:: Where do you see yourself in ten years time?
A:: Good question. In 10 years I’ll be 38, and will perhaps be approaching DJ retirement age.... but then again, travelling and gigging is a hard lifestyle to give up. At some stage later in my life, when I feel too old to go out and play records every week, I’d like to shift more towards the musical side more seriously: perhaps try and get into music for films, pop, rock, producing other people, stuff like that. I’ve always been musical and feel at some point I’ll have more to give than just dance music. But right now I’m loving making dance tracks and DJing, and can’t see that changing any time soon.

Q:: If you were not a dj/producer…. What would you be? Or want to be??
A:: I always thought I’d end up in music, and would like to think I’d have been in a band. I could also have ended up in politics as I have a degree in it… although I think I might have to rule that out now!

Q:: If you could have a super power what would it be and why?
A::Immortality would be pretty good I think.

Thanks Gareth!!! Finally…. Thankyou for your time…. We look forward to welcoming you to Passion on March 14th with open arms…… Genix

http://www.garethemery.com
http://www.passionuk.com