DJ Mag's Top 20 DJs of 2011 unveiled!

Post Reply Create New Topic

DJRANZ
57 forum
# 21 October 2011, at 13:47
Ferry needs to be WAAAAY higher.

Trance Podium Top 50 > DJ Mag Top 100
Now known as Randy Derricott. I may sometimes use the DJ Ranz alias for certain projects though.

www.facebook.com/djranzofficial
www.soundcloud.com/dj-ranz
www.mixcloud.com/djranz
www.twitch.tv/djranz1989
Semir
2841 forum
# 21 October 2011, at 15:36
Decided not to reply to any of those topics above because it would take me A LOT of time to write what's on my mind so I'll just say that I'm glad it happened like I thought it will: DJ Mag has definitely proved to be the worst DJ list EVER.

Angerfist on 39th spot (hardcore DJ/producer). That's a surprise. Also, I recently started listening to Skrillex and now I see them on the list as well. That's a shoker.

Btw Mukarito, Leon is 99th. Hilarious list.

Enjoy this track (if you can) :p

vera
1923 forum
# 21 October 2011, at 15:57
Ahahahahahahahahaha WTF??????????????????
... Endless love and trust in trance ...
Remco
TrancePodium Staff
948 forum
# 21 October 2011, at 15:59
Indeed WTF??? hahaha

Sounds like somebody's a bit frustrated there...
Last edited on 21 October 2011, at 16:00
Matt Van Driver
22559 forum
# 21 October 2011, at 17:26
Poll should be renamed

Top 100 Best Known Dj's

Its all about the mainstream, and as said in this thread DG is up there as a household name across the globe.

Some may not like it but thats the way it is.

For the Trance purists then the TP Top 50 Poll is our holy grail.

djsmirk
178093 forum
# 21 October 2011, at 23:34
Remco thats a very interesting point about armin you bring up and think it actually holds a lot of value...armin has been promoting guetta uncharacteristically over the past year and that would make sense as to why......but about BT i agree he is not a dj but he puts on one hell of a show IMO and though he is not literally djing in the sense of the traditional meaning, i think he may be heading in the direction of where the scence itself is heading with singing live on tracks to producing things on the fly....but thats just my take either way the top 100 is most defiantly a sham
djsmirk
178093 forum
# 21 October 2011, at 23:48
also vitamin...i know all to well about the britaney spears dubstep garbage...i was riding with a friend in her car when i first heard that song and have to make her pull over and let me out from the bleeding in my ears lol
R33
TrancePodium Staff
44 forum
# 22 October 2011, at 00:19
Yea.. expected this TBH... What a waste of time and what a joke its become.

Oh and that stuff about BT not being a DJ... thats where he started. Early 90s he was spinning chicago and euro house in small clubs in the US... then producing Ima in 95 with that style. He started as a DJ, but now is more focused on producing and doing his laptop symphony
Remco
TrancePodium Staff
948 forum
# 22 October 2011, at 10:16
Originally posted by djsmirk
i think he may be heading in the direction of where the scence itself is heading with singing live on tracks to producing things on the fly....

I hope not tbh, since he's a laptop dj. And when going to a party i don''t need to see live producing. I want to see a DJ. Else I could go to a normal concert instead ;)

Originally posted by R33
Oh and that stuff about BT not being a DJ... thats where he started. Early 90s he was spinning chicago and euro house in small clubs in the US... then producing Ima in 95 with that style. He started as a DJ, but now is more focused on producing and doing his laptop symphony

WOW, ok, didn't know that. I guess I have to take back my words....partially. Since I don't find a laptop DJ a real DJ. I mean, he is a laptop DJ, right?
R33
TrancePodium Staff
44 forum
# 22 October 2011, at 17:26
Originally posted by Remco

WOW, ok, didn't know that. I guess I have to take back my words....partially. Since I don't find a laptop DJ a real DJ. I mean, he is a laptop DJ, right?

Well when he started it was vinyl as there was not even CDJs yet ;)

I saw him spinning on good ol techs. Great shows back then.

But now, he does his laptop symphony, which, is not DJing.. and he also does other shows which are live PAs. BT doesn't DJ really at all anymore, but when he does, I know he uses CDJs. He prefers to perform live renditions of his tracks in realtime..editing them and changing them up based on crowd reaction. Kinda like going to see a band play live.

This is the main reason why I love BT so much.
Hansy
4775 forum
# 22 October 2011, at 19:06
Originally posted by DJRANZ
Ferry needs to be WAAAAY higher.

Trance Podium Top 50 > DJ Mag Top 100

Yeah 8-) ... Because of this....

H@nsy
Ben
TrancePodium Staff
1026 forum
# 23 October 2011, at 22:33
Guetta has 24 million fans on Facebook, Armin has just over 4. That is why he's no.1.

So glad I didn't bother voting, that way I don't feel like I made an effort with this sham of a poll. Biggest crime I think is infact DB at 8... what the actual f? :yell:
Deadmike5
4339 forum
# 24 October 2011, at 00:36
Originally posted by Marjan
First I was like

But then I was like

whats the second one from, looks like a fat Jerry Seinfeld
Musical Freedom!
Remco
TrancePodium Staff
948 forum
# 24 October 2011, at 07:18
Originally posted by Ben
Guetta has 24 million fans on Facebook, Armin has just over 4. That is why he's no.1.

Sure, but on the other hand, only 600,000 people have voted. And it was still very close they said. I think it's more about that lots of mainstream fans have voted, who like Usher, Black Eyed Peas, Kelly Rowland, Akon, Fergie, Rihanna, Snoop Dogg, etc. They hear their favorite artists and songs with Gaytta and think he's good because of that.
Daniel
2785 forum
# 24 October 2011, at 15:20
Right, personally I think it's about time all DJ's stopped worrying about this poll for once and all, Techno DJ's forgot about it a long time ago and that is refelected in the results, the likes of Marco Carola, Carl Cox, Loco Dice etc would all be way higher if they actually cared. As it is they don't and nor do the people that book them, because actually I don't think you do need to come high up this list to get bookings. It is tainted.

Who really gives a dam anyway? I mean everyone knew Guetta would win this year, it has been a long time coming, I agree Armin did not look to unhappy about it but the people that boo'ed Guetta were idiots. Why? Because at the end of the day, they all went there knowing this poll was a farce, why pay all that money and then boo if you knew it was going to happen anyway?

There were loads of other much better nights on during ADE and you could have gone to see Armin for example at Armada the next night and he also played Saturday night.

My feeling is that you should keep it Genre based, because you will never please everyone and you will always have people who vote but actually know nothing about what makes a good DJ. There is no point in comparing the likes of David Guetta, Sander Van Doorn, Sven Vath and Stanton Warriors (See I would have them in my top 100) as all their styles are different.

Let's be honest has Armin Van Buuren really been the best DJ in the world for the last 3 years? If so why? What has he done?

I hate what this list does to DJ's, it was refreshing to see Seid on Friday spin exactly how he wanted to play, not how the crowd expects him to play or what he thinks they want him to play. This is the feeling that I get from this list, when people get high up it they want to stay there and so they change their style.

As Remco said Emery is a perfect example of this, he changed a lot when he broke into the top and it's a big shame as he really could have been special, maybe he still can be. What's more important to these people anyway? For me I would rather be loved by the scene I am a part of, than loved by people who know nothing about the music I love.

That's my veiw anyway and I have not even disected everyone elses posts yet or really teh listings it's self. A slight rant I know but I have been gasping to get my point across since I saw the full list on Saturday.

Any list that has Dash Berlin at number 8 is clearly not a serious list.... I wonder how many people who voted actually watched him play live this year or donwloaded one of his sets? SHM are another example of what a good advertising push and hype can do. I mean Angello is the biggest joke surely? He got caught not mixing his set at all and playing a pre mixed CD and he STILL gets voted into the list? To me that hurts, because it is basically saying it's OK to do that, it's OK to take the piss out of the hard paying public who spend 100's to go to events because the dickheads who don't actually care about the EDM scene will still vote you into the list.

Screw that and screw the list.
Last edited on 24 October 2011, at 15:22